How Groundcover is Supporting our Vendors

Up to date directory of human services and assistance providers

Coronavirus Tracker The latest statewide case counts, daily breaking news, and detailed information on filing for unemployment in Michigan.

Shelter and Sanitation

For urgent housing needs call HAWC: 734-961-1999, M-F 8:30 a.m. – 5 p.m. Those with no phone access can email Weekend and evening emergency shelter needs are best addressed by contacting or visiting the Delonis Center, 734-662-2829, 312 W. Huron St., Ann Arbor.

Tent encampments will not be removed unless they pose a risk to the public. Washtenaw County Parks has porta potties at County Farm Park, Swift Run Dog Park, Parker Mill, Rolling Hills and Independence Lake — all equipped with hand sanitizing equipment. Ann Arbor added a porta potty and hand washing station by Liberty Plaza. Ypsilanti placed porta potties with hand sanitizing capabilities, systematically throughout the city. Additionally, SOS has placed portable toilets outside its two locations at 114 River St. and 101 S. Huron St. in Ypsilanti.

Showers by appointment (Thur – Sat mostly, with occasional Mon – Wed evening appointments). Call or text first, if possible, 734-754-0648. Peace House, Ypsilanti, 706 Davis St, Ypsilanti.

Laundry CLEARLY LABELED with your name and contact info can be left on the porch at Peace House. They will wash and have it available for you to pick up. Or you can arrange pickup and delivery. Call or text first, if possible, 734-754-0648. 706 Davis St, Ypsilanti.

Drop in to use house service and amenities Tue – Fri 10 a.m. – 5 p.m., MISSION Hill (Purple) House, 3501 Stone School Rd., Ann Arbor.


Michigan has suspended work requirements for SNAP/FAP (food stamp) benefits. Everyone who is eligible for FAP will now receive the maximum amount for their family size. The money is supposed to show up automatically on the recipient’s Bridge card. In addition, families with children eligible for free or reduced school lunches are automatically eligible for additional funds of approximately $114 per child each month. Those currently without Bridge cards will receive an EBT card in the mail.

Take-away breakfast is available at St. Andrew’s Episcopal Church every morning from 7:30–8:30 a.m., 306 N. Division, Ann Arbor. Meals continue to be served at the Delonis Center, primarily for take-away, 312 W. Huron St. Ann Arbor. Weekday lunch at noon and dinner 5:30 pm, weekends single meal at 2:30 pm. Hope Clinic has hot meals-to-go in the evenings on Saturdays, Sundays, Mondays and Thursdays at 5 p.m.

Mercy House has brunch to go starting 10 a.m. Saturday mornings. 805 W. Huron St., Ann Arbor.

Peace House Ypsi delivers Sunday brunch — one bag per household/campsite. Call or text to make arrangements, 734-754-0648. “To go” brunch at the house at 10 a.m., first-come first-served, for about 20 people. 706 Davis St., Ypsilanti.

The MISSION Hill house delivers Sunday dinner to those in need. Contact Cameron at 734-678-6394 or Brian at 734-216-5166 in advance.Community food distribution sites

Community food distribution sites

  • SOS has pantry days on Tuesday 1–6 p.m. and Wednesday 9–1 p.m. Bagged groceries, no appointment necessary. 114 River St., Ypsilanti.
  • Peace Neighborhood Center is hosting produce distribution on Fridays 10 a.m. – noon at their main location (1111 N. Maple Rd., Ann Arbor).
  • Hope Clinic has emergency groceries available during operating hours.
  • Community Action Network’s Bryant Community Center Market (3 W. Eden Ct., Ann Arbor, MI 48108) is open to all Washtenaw County residents, Mon – Fri 10 a.m. – 4 p.m.
  • Faith in Action is providing curbside food service at both of their pantries. Call 734-475-3305 (Chelsea) or 734-426-7002 (Dexter) for before you arrive and to receive more information.
  • Peace House Ypsi is providing one box of groceries for each household/campsite, as available. Pickup or delivery. Call or text to make arrangements, 734-754-0648.
  • Food GatherersClick Here to view Food Gatherers’ up-to-date list of pantry locations

Medical care

The following health clinics are open:
Hope Clinic — Call for screening and appointment 734-484-2989
Corner Health Center — Call for information 734-484-3600
Packard Health — Call for information 734-926-4900 (Ann Arbor West); 734-971-1073 (Ann Arbor East); 734-985-7200 (Ypsilanti)
For mental health needs, call Washtenaw County at 734-544-3050.

Government Funds

Stimulus checks

People who typically do not file a tax return will need to file a simple tax return to receive an economic impact payment, even if you had no income in 2019. Low-income taxpayers, senior citizens, Social Security recipients, some veterans and individuals with disabilities who are otherwise not required to file a tax return will not owe tax. The link for filing is: Be sure to include a bank account for Direct Deposit, if at all possible, since the funds come much sooner that way. You do not need to file if you receive Social Security or SSI. (Some of the stimulus check might be diverted if you owe back child support.)If you do not fit the profile for the simplified form, the United Way suggests using  Credit Karma, easy-to-use free online software for tax preparation, or visiting the IRS Free File website which lists various options for free tax filing options online. The stimulus checks can be applied for any time in 2020.


Unemployment Benefits

If you have yet to apply, please visit here to watch informational videos on how to apply or access your federal benefits application.

Visit here for the MiWAM toolkit to help you navigate the MiWAM website and properly set up your account.

If you have questions as you apply, or are unsure of what you will need to apply visit here for the UIA’s Unemployment Benefits FAQ.

For more information or to apply for unemployment benefits, visit or call (866) 500-0017.

The State Unemployment Office is extending benefits to workers who are sick, quarantined or taking care of family members who are ill. First responders in the public health community who became ill or quarantined due to exposure are also eligible. Self-employed workers and independent contractors who don’t have access to unemployment insurance now have access to benefits. If you filed for unemployment recently and were rejected, appeal or file again!

No documentation is needed if you are willing to accept the minimum payment ($150 per week from Michigan and, through July, an additional $600 per week from the federal government).

To file online: People whose last name begins with letters A-L should file claims on Monday, Wednesday and Friday. People whose last name begins with letters M-Z should file claims on Sundays, Tuesdays, or Thursdays. Saturdays are open for anyone to file. 

To file by phone at 866-500-0017: People whose last name begins with letters A-L can call on Mondays and Wednesdays, 8 a.m. – 5 p.m. People whose last name begins with letters M-Z can call on Tuesdays and Thursdays, 8 a.m. – 5 p.m. Fridays are open for anyone to file, 8 a.m. – 5 p.m.

Detailed instructions on filing in Michigan are available on the state unemployment website.

File a new claim for unemployment benefits by visiting: 

Click here to see what you need to file an unemployment claim 


Utility shutoffs and evictions have been halted due to the pandemic. Those in need of payment assistance for DTE due to loss of income or medical condition, contact 1-800-477-4747.

Cell service

U.S. Mobile has configurable packages at very reasonable rates.


Xfinity and AT&T hot spots are free, but if you can’t access them from your home, Comcast and Charter Communications will offer free internet access to low-income families. Internet and cable will not be suspended. For information about AT&T plans,  Click here to learn more. 

Additional Resources

Washtenaw County is regularly updating this page of essential services and resources.